Last updated on February 28th, 2019 at 09:20 am
The Calderdale Family History Society has small, dedicated teams of members working on a series of projects to make research for our members easier and more productive.
We publish the results of this work in various ways :-
- On CDs which can be purchased.
- Onto the Society’s databases available at our Research Room at Brighouse Library.
- On FindMyPast site as “Pay per View”
- Burials data is included on the National Burial Index (NBI) available from Genfair
A team transcribes and publishes inscriptions from monuments and gravestones in graveyards in our area. The results are available in our Monumental Publications List.
School Log Books.
- We have an ambitious project to digitise the 94 School Log Books held by West Yorkshire Archives. We are then transcribing “events” associated with named people in those Logs, which are being published. Researchers can then apply to the Archives to view the relevant pages, or come to our Research Room in Brighouse to view them. Members of our Society are able to request, free of charge, access to these pages, through our Search Coordinator.Transcription of the first Log Books, for East & South Calderdale, was completed in December 2017 & they are available on CD, by a download from Genfair, or, for members, via the free Search Facility. Our transcribers have now completed the 2nd phase, which covers North & Central Calderdale. The 2nd CD for this project was made available in November 2018. Our Transcription team are now 70% through the final phase, for West Calderdale, which we hope will be completed mid-2019.
Completed Projects in the last 12 months
- The Monumental Inscriptions for Rastrick Cemetery were completed & published in July 2018 & are available on CD, at the Research Room and, for Members, through the Transcription Index on this website.
- The Monumental Inscriptions for St John, Clifton & the Clifton Municipal Cemetery were completed in November 2018 & the results published on a CD the same month. These are also available at the Research Room and, for Members, through the Transcription Index on this website. Further additions to this source have been completed by January 2019 and are now available as part of this data.
- Piece Hall Subscribers. This data shows details of the traders who subscribed & traded from the Piece Hall at the time it opened in 1778. These are available as a download file only, as there is insufficient data to warrant a CD.
- Greetland Undertaker. This data shows details of people whose funeral was undertaken by the firm of Ely Furness, between the years 1896 to 1927. members can obtain an image of the page involved for any burial, which shows information about costs, type of coffin & other interesting information. These are available as a download file only, as there is insufficient data to warrant a CD.
All these transcriptions are available through the usual channels.
- Following the re-siting of Square Church headstones in Lister Lane cemetery we have been revising the Monumental Inscriptions for that church. Once all the re-siting has been completed, we will update the relevant database & publication.
If you have any suggestions for future projects, please let our Project Coordinator know.