Last updated on October 20th, 2018 at 11:36 am
The Calderdale Family History Society has small, dedicated teams of members working on a series of projects to make research for our members easier and more productive.
We publish the results of this work in various ways :-
- On CDs which can be purchased.
- Onto the Society’s databases available at our Research Room at Brighouse Library.
- On FindMyPast site as “Pay per View”
- Burials data is included on the National Burial Index (NBI) available from Genfair
A team transcribes and publishes inscriptions from monuments and gravestones in graveyards in our area. The results are available in our Monumental Publications List.
The transcriptions are also available in fully searchable form on the Society’s computers at our Research Room at Brighouse Library, Rydings Park.
School Log Books.
- We have an ambitious project to digitise the 94 School Log Books held by West Yorkshire Archives. We are then transcribing “events” associated with named people in those Logs, which are being published. Researchers can then apply to the Archives to view the relevant pages, or come to our Research Room in Brighouse to view them. Members of our Society are able to request, free of charge, access to these pages, through our Search Coordinator.
Transcription of the first Log Books, for East & South Calderdale, was completed in December 2017 & they are available on CD, by a download from Genfair, or, for members, via the free Search Facility. Our transcribers are now well on the way to producing the results for the 2nd phase, which covers North & Central Calderdale. The transcription of the final 2 Log Books is nearing completion. Hopefully, the 2nd CD for this project will be available by the end of this year. Once this is published, the final phase, for West Calderdale, will be done.
Completed Projects in the last 12 months
- The Monumental Inscriptions for Rastrick Cemetery were completed & published in July 2018 & are available on CD, at the Research Room and, for Members, through the Transcription Index on this website.
All these transcriptions are available through the usual channels.
- Following the re-siting of Square Church headstones in Lister Lane cemetery we have been revising the Monumental Inscriptions for that church. Once all the re-siting has been completed, we will update the relevant database & publication.
- In late September 2018 we received permission to transcribe the Monumental Inscriptions at Clifton St John’s churchyard. The work on this is due to start early October & be completed within a few months.
If you have any suggestions for future projects, please let our Project Coordinator know.