Last updated on March 25th, 2020 at 02:36 pm
Coronavirus update – Wednesday 25th March 2020
The last of our research site partners, Calderdale Libraries, has now closed. As conditions change day by day, we will not be issuing any further updates until after our 1st monthly review on April 15th unless there is something momentous to report. In the meantime we wish all our members & genealogists alike good wishes and keep safe. Our on-line services are here to help you in your genealogy searches so do take this unprecedented time to use them and do keep safe.
West Yorkshire Archive Services have closed their offices in all 5 areas, including Halifax. For more information on this, go to their website https://www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-service/
Society Coronavirus – General Policy
Following discussions amongst the Society officers, we have decided on the policy that our Society will adopt, concerning the Coronavirus.
A full statement of the policy is given on a separate page, which can be reached by clicking on this link.
In summary, we will follow the following steps :-
- The General Meetings for March 26th & April 23rd will be cancelled. A decision on the May meeting will be taken nearer the time.
- The Research Room will be closed from Monday 23rd March until at least the end of April.
- The annual lunch which was to have followed the AGM on April 23rd will also be cancelled. Those members who have paid for their meal will be reimbursed.
- The AGM for 2020 will be conducted remotely – see the April newsletter for full details.
- All services that operate electronically or by post, will continue as usual. This means that use of the Transcription Index, the publication of the Scrivener & newsletters & all other electronic communication will continue to be available to members.
We hope that this crisis is a short-lived event, although we believe that it may continue for some time. Our policies will be reviewed on a regular basis.
Welcome to Calderdale FHS
Founded in 1985 we are a group of Family Historians who help each other, and the general public, with research into their ancestors. We are dedicated to ancestry, genealogy and family search in Halifax, West Yorkshire and the surrounding area. Full details of everything we offer can be found using the drop-down menu bar above.
However, the most important & well-used facilities are listed below. Click on the title of the sections below to go to use that facility.
Transcription Index – Search the index for over 2m records that have been transcribed over the years the Society – your long, lost, ancestor may be amongst them!
Publications – Look to see what publications we offer to help you – mostly on CD or downloadable files.
Projects – See what projects we are doing which may help you in the near future. New information is becoming available all the time.
Research Room – We have a Research Room in Brighouse Library where you can go to access both Ancestry & FindMyPast as well as all the Society databases. There is always an experienced Society officer there to help you.
Benefits of Membership – Membership of the Society starts from as little as £6 per annum. Benefits include :-
- The Scrivener – 4 informative family history related Journals every year.
- Access to other members’ Interests through our “Members Area” on the Society website www.cfhsweb.com.
- Use of the Research Room.
- Free searches for the full detail of every item on the Transcription Index.
- A monthly meeting at the Maurice Jagger Centre in Halifax every 4th Thursday. Click to see the current syllabus.
- Ability to contribute to the on-line forum.
Click here to apply for details on how to apply for membership.
Map of the Area