The West Yorkshire Archive Service collects and looks after the unique documentary heritage of the region and helps members of the public use and enjoy these records. WYAS collect and preserve the heritage of our region dating from the twelfth century to the present day – over 800 years of local history.
Preserving the past, serving the present, protecting the future
Through their five district offices, WYAS can help you:
- Discover your family history
- Learn about your local area
- Care for your collections
WYAS is funded by the five councils in West Yorkshire – Wakefield, Leeds, Bradford, Kirklees and Calderdale – and are part of the West Yorkshire Joint Services.
WYAS collections cover a vast array of topics and subjects across all aspects of the heritage of West Yorkshire, WYAS collections’ strengths include:
- Church Records
- Family and Estate Records
- Local Authority Records
- Hospital and Health Records
- Trade Union Records
- Manufacturing Business Records
Other collection areas include:
- Local Clubs and Societies (including records of Calderdale Family History Society)
- Cultural and ethnic groups
- Small local businesses
- Popular culture
- Charitable organisations
- Political papers
- Non-Christian faith-based groups
Two collections held by WYAS are part of the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register
- The diaries of Anne Lister of Shibden Hall (held by WYAS Calderdale)
- The records of Stanley Royd Hospital, formerly the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum
WYAS has an online catalogue which can be used to search within the collections held across all five offices of WYAS.
Working with Calderdale FHS
What do WYAS do for us?
- Provide material from which CFHS carries out transcription projects for wider circulation to the public
- Provides the required access to original records for this purpose
What do CFHS do for the WYAS?
- Carries out extensive copying and photographing so that WYAS can provide the public with easier access to original material
- Funds some areas of operation which would otherwise not be financed
- Publicise and promotes WYAS services in order to increase their visitor numbers