The Calderdale Family History Society has small, dedicated teams of members working on a series of projects to make research for our members easier and more productive.
We publish the results of this work in various ways :-
- On CDs which can be purchased.
- Onto the Society’s databases available at our Research Room at Brighouse Library.
- On FindMyPast site as “Pay per View”
- Burials data is included on the National Burial Index (NBI) available from Genfair
A team transcribes and publishes inscriptions from monuments and gravestones in graveyards in our area. The results are available in our Monumental Publications List.
The transcriptions are also available in fully searchable form on the Society’s computers at our Research Room at Brighouse Library, Rydings Park.
Currently we are working on:
Chapel Records & School Log Books.
- Transcription of the 1st part of the Northowram Heywood URC registers has been completed. However, more records have come to light which are currently being transcribed, so that, by the end of the project, records available will range from 1744 well into the 20th century. By April, all transcription was completed & the validation of the final sets of burials is underway. Publication is due in late Spring of this year – 2017.
- We have started an ambitious project to digitise the 74 School Log Books held by West Yorkshire Archives. We are then transcribing “events” associated with named people in those Logs, which will be published. Researchers can then apply to the Archives to view the relevant pages, or come to our Research Room in Brighouse to view them. Members of our Society will be able to request, free of charge, access to these pages, through our Search Coordinator.
By April, transcription is well underway with our project team. We are due to have a Transcriber Meeting on May 5th, in Rugby, to ensure that we have a truly consistent product by the end of the project.
Completed Projects in the last 12 months
- All burial records for Stoney Royd Cemetery are now available through the usual channels, from 1861 to 1960. Entries for the period 1961 to 1996 are available to CFHS members via the Search Coordinator, at email@example.com In December 2016, the 4 individual CDs were withdrawn & replaced by 1 CD covering the entire timespan 1861 to 1960.
- Our 4th Monumental Inscriptions CD, which includes details from 17 further graveyards, plus Burial & Gravebook details from 4 further graveyards. This CD was made available in December 2016.
- Warley Town Cemetery Registers have been completed & are available at our research Room. The relevant entries on the Transcription index will be in place during April 2017.
All these transcriptions are available through the usual channels.
- Following the re-siting of Square Church headstones in Lister Lane cemetery we have been revising the Monumental Inscriptions for that church. Once all the re-siting has been completed, we will update the relevant database & publication.
If you have any suggestions for future projects, please let our Project Coordinator know.